Child Behavior Expert Forum
Schizophrenia?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Schizophrenia?

Hi there. I am new to this forum. My daughter is 7. She has been having "bad thoughts". "My brain tells me I hate you, but I don't! My brain says she is ugly, but she isn't!", etc. More recently she has gone from saying "my brain" to calling her brain "it".....to most recently calling her brain "he". She told me a couple of weeks ago, "Mom, 'he' told me that I should have never been born. 'He' told me to kill myself tomorrow, but I don't want to!" I immediately found a wonderful psychiatrist, and she started on 50 mg. of Seroquel tonight, so I'm interested to see how things will unfold. She also has been diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder. On another night, she said, "Shhhh..mom, if you ignore 'them' they will go away." When I asked who 'they' were she said they were animals on the ceiling. Does any of this sound like schizophrenia, or the beginning of schizophrenia? Thanks so much for any information you may have.
1 Comment
Blank
242606_tn?1243786248
It is clear that she is experiencing a thought/perceptual disorder that can be typical of schizophrenia but can also indicate other mental/emotional disorders as well. The particular symptom does not by itself point toward schizophrenia as the only possibility. The medication regime sounds very reasonable.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...
14 hrs ago by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank