Child Behavior Expert Forum
Sensory Integration/tactile defensiveness
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Sensory Integration/tactile defensiveness

I have a 7 year old daughter who was diagnosed about 2 years ago with Sensory Integration Disorder.  Her most prevalent symptom is tactile defensiveness, which at times can be severe.  She has been in occupational therapy twice weekly for 10 months.  My question is regarding the tendency I have seen for the symptoms to go in waves.  For example, she will be doing very well for awhile, then have a setback where her clothing will really bother her.  She has done well in first grade this year but the last 2 weeks we have had a great deal of trouble getting her to actually go into school.  She says it is because her clothes are bothering her (not because of anything in particular at school -- she actually is better once she is in her class and with her friends.  she seems happy when I pick her up in the pm).  She has never put up this much resistance before.  The school staff is very patient and understanding and they do everything they can to make the transition into the building easy for her.  My only explanation would be that the end of the year can be very stressful because the routine is different and more hectic.  We thought perhaps it was some attention getting or separation anxiety but she has not done this all school year and it seems odd that it would come now, not at the beginning of the year.  Any insight would be appreciated!  Thanks for your help.