Child Behavior Expert Forum
Sensory Integration/tactile defensiveness

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

I have a 7 year old daughter who was diagnosed about 2 years ago with Sensory Integration Disorder.  Her most prevalent symptom is tactile defensiveness, which at times can be severe.  She has been in occupational therapy twice weekly for 10 months.  My question is regarding the tendency I have seen for the symptoms to go in waves.  For example, she will be doing very well for awhile, then have a setback where her clothing will really bother her.  She has done well in first grade this year but the last 2 weeks we have had a great deal of trouble getting her to actually go into school.  She says it is because her clothes are bothering her (not because of anything in particular at school -- she actually is better once she is in her class and with her friends.  she seems happy when I pick her up in the pm).  She has never put up this much resistance before.  The school staff is very patient and understanding and they do everything they can to make the transition into the building easy for her.  My only explanation would be that the end of the year can be very stressful because the routine is different and more hectic.  We thought perhaps it was some attention getting or separation anxiety but she has not done this all school year and it seems odd that it would come now, not at the beginning of the year.  Any insight would be appreciated!  Thanks for your help.
Dear Tina,

It's not uncommon for children to show some unsettled behavior toward the end of the school year. The anticipation of change can be an unsettling experience. Of course, I can't say if your daughter's reluctance is related to such anticipation or not. You are wise, in any case, to notice how well she seems to be responding while actually at school - this is the important issue.

It may be that your daughter is simply responding to the natural ebb and flow os some SI symptoms. Children with SI do not display a steady, unwavering response to their symptoms.
1 Comment
A related discussion, clothing issues was started.