Child Behavior Expert Forum
Sensory intergration and learning disabilities
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Sensory intergration and learning disabilities

I have a 1st grader who is having much trouble learning to read.
I have requested the school test him for learning disabilities.  I have always wondered if he had sensory intergration problems. My question is: first can the school's testing pick up SI problems and Is LD associated with SI problems?
Related Discussions
242606_tn?1243786248
Dear Laurel,

The testing performed by the school might investigate the area of sensory integration, provided the testing includes an evaluation by an occupational therapist. Often sensory integration problems are associated with learning disabilities.
3 Comments
Blank
What is sensory intergration?

Chris
Blank
sensory intergation is a nuerological disorder where the brain cant process the information of sences(sight,touch,smell,hearing) they may have a hyoersensative system in whuch they would be very sencative to touch, and may not be reall active kids, or they may be hyposensative such as my daughter.  in her case she never stopps going, she has a very high pain tollerance because it takes more stimuli for her to be able to process it.  she also craves spinning, swinging any thing with motion constantally.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...
Jul 20 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank