Child Behavior Expert Forum
Seperation Anxiety in 4 1/2 year old...

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Seperation Anxiety in 4 1/2 year old...

My daughter is 4 1/2.  The last month and a half she has been waking up at night on the days that I have to go to work.  (ie. Up Sunday night, I work Monday morning)  She said that she is getting up because she does not want me to go to work.  I have gotten her books about mom's going to work,given her pictures of me and her to keep, given her a special bracelet that I made for her that matches one that I made for myself.  I have gotten her a new stuffed animal to keep her company when I am gone.  She is not in daycare when I got to work.  Family members watch her at my house and her father works from home.  I spend a lot of time playing with her and doing activities on the days that I am home.  I have tried talking to her about it as well and nothing has worked so far. I make sure that she is up in the morning now (I didn't in the past) so she can see me before I leave.  I am not sure if it was triggered by me leaving when she was sleeping.   I know it is not that she is afraid of her room or anything like that because she sleeps on the nights that I don't work the next day.  She is getting crabby and throwing tantrums now too and I think that it is due to the fact that she is not getting enough sleep.  I am sure it is a phase but how can I get the ball rolling to get her out of it and set her in the right direction?  
You are doing sensible things and over time she will adapt. One thing you might consider is having her enrolled in a nursery school program. Part of the issue now is that her whole life is centered on the family (and this is OK, by the way), and it makes it difficult for her to be relaxed about your absence.
Thank you Dr. Kennedy for your input.  She is actually in pre-school 3 days a week.  She just started last fall.  She loves pre-school and just recently she started wanting me to stay there.  The teacher is very good with the situation.  She told her to say bye to me and to come with her and help her check in the homework.  I asked the teacher when I picked her up the teacher said she was fine as soon as I left.  So sounds like I just need to give her time then?  
That's right. You are doing the correct thing.
Thank you Dr., for giving me the reassurrance that I am doing the right thing.