Child Behavior Community
Seperation anxiety???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Seperation anxiety???

Hello, I have 5 year old twin girls who have been nothing but a joy. Of course you have ups and downs from time to time, but nothing like here recently. One of my girls have in the last week or so started throwing fits when I leave for work or when its time for bed. She will start crying and hollering "I want you" & then throw a huge scene. They have both already gone to pre k with no problems, mommy going to work everyday since they were 2 and have delt with mommy & daddy being seperated for a year and half now & no problems. Im not sure what to do. Time out doesnt work, and taking away things dont work for her, and I tried sitting down and talking with her but she just says I want you . I even started a "going to bed good" chart all over again & it dont seem to be working this time. Also, a side note, she had started peeing her pants in the day time which we recently have gone a week without doing now. Is she moving from one isssue to the next? I really am at a loss. We have lived just me & the girls for the last year and half & recently moved in their uncle & 4 cousins for the summer. And their daddy is now taking them 1 weekend a month for the last 3 months. I dont know if these are any factors at all, but I wanted to get the whole picture out there. Please, what can I do?
You mean you have moved into a house with the Uncle and 4 cousins ..sounds like a lot to be going on in the twins life .what age are the cousins, boys or gals ?
They moved in with us, he lost his place & his soon to be ex wife is now loosing hers so all the kids & him are at our house. We already had their oldest duaghter living with us for a few months, but the rest just moved in a few weeks ago. The childrens ages are 17girl,14 boy, 6 girl, & 4 boy. The two youngest have been sleeping in my daughters room, The oldest who was living with me prior has the guest room & the uncle & the 14 year old are sleeping in my fl room on air mattresses. keep in mind this is only for the next month, while he saves up to get a place.
thats good its temporary as I would think this is the root of the trouble with your child. how do the others treat the twins do they all get on okay its a lot of change all of a sudden she is upset by something..have you tried putting her into another room .to sleep. Something in my opinion is upsetting her , so be aware and check all avenues are you around most of the time ? ..  
I am home most of the time with them, I go to work fro 7 till 2, and have for a while & she had never done the I dont want you leave thing til recently too... I have tried moving her twin sister out of her room. as for the other children the two youngest all this week have been gone with their mom and will be returning soon. I have been trying to ignore it & let it play out the last two nights and it has brought the sleepless night down from 4 hrs to 2.. but I am starting to get stressed & tired. I do know that having another family in my home as played a toll on me as well. I used to come home to a clean home, the way we left it, now I come home to constant cleaning & no relaxing...maybe I am not getting enough down time with them? I dont know, This all has started in this last week, and I would like to nip it in the butt before it gets worse.
oh, as for the other younger kids... They have been a little mean to the girls, which they dont understand, for they have never had to deal with that. I have started to step in though, cuz their dad isnt putting a stop to that. Telling them to stop & making them stop are two diifferent things. I told my girls to start telling mommy when things happen, and my littlest one said, but mom thats tattaling...I said I know, but When someone is getting hurt or being hurt then an adult needs to know.
It is very good of you to help them out this way I can imagine how tough it is , Definatly step in and make sure your twins are not being bullied. I think it will all settle back once they have moved . Meantime give your two plenty of affection and attention .,you are right to tell them to let you know what the others do and speak to their Dad about it ..good luck