Child Behavior Expert Forum
Severe Behavioral Problems at school

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Severe Behavioral Problems at school

My Son has just started Junior Kindergarten.  There have been very few days that he HAS NOT had a behavior issue yet.  The problems have just continued to become more and more severe.  Today, I was asked to pick him up from school only 30 mins. into class because he "violently" threw a broom at an Educational Assistant in the classroom (who was trying to remove him from the room for a time out due to his inability to listen to directions).  He has to be removed from his classroom on a daily basis at school.  In the past he has kicked and hit other adults in his school.  They tell me he has a very diffucult time listening to directions.  This usually occurs during a transition of some sort. E.g. from play time to circle time, time to line up, etc.  I have also been told that he runs from staff when told he has a time out.  What is also very concerning to me is the fact that they have told me that he smiles and has even laughed at them during these occurances.  
My Son gets into trouble at home, but not to this extent.  He also understands what time-out is.  He will go and sit without conflict.  I am at a loss in reguards to how to go about addressing this issue.
Two things to consider: first, he may not really be ready for this school experience. Second, he may require a specialized program if his behavioral difficulties are severe. It would be wise to arrange an evaluation with a clinical psychologist or other pediatric menatl health professional.
I just wanted to add that my son has a delay called sensory integration disorder.  When he misbehaved in preschool prior to our knowing his diagnosis, the teacher told me that he would smile or laugh.  The couselor and the occupational therapist that worked with him said that he did this because he was smart enough to know he'd done something wrong but couldn't control it.  So then he didn't know what to do, so he smiled or laughed.  Kind of like nervous laughter.