Child Behavior Expert Forum
Shots and phyical exam of private parts of maturing 12 yr old girl

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

My pediatrician requires a phyical exam of my 12yr old daughter private parts in order to give her the shots she needs to enter the 7th grade.  She is up to date on all shots except this Hep1 shot. She is very mature (body) and her nor I feel confitable with him checking her breast or vaginal area (no internal).  Is this common practice or what?  I have to take her to another Doctor to get her shots and a regular phyical to enter school. The pediatrician will not give her her shots without that type of exam.  I am very concern about this and my daughter does not want to return to this DR. at all and I also have 3 other children I am concern for. What are the rules for phyical exam on children.
Dear Sharon,

Your doctor is certainly being sensible in wanting to see that an examination of the external genitalia occurs. This is responsible practice. It would be unwise to ignore this component of the physical examination.

Many children of your daughter's age prefer to have a doctor of the same gender because they are uncomfortable about being in a state of undress with a doctor not of the same gender, and because they can easily be embarrased around examination of the genitals. This is a perfectly sensible reason to switch to a new doctor.
A related discussion, My ten year old has an itchy vagina is this normal was started.