Child Behavior Expert Forum
Sibling separation anxiety
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Sibling separation anxiety

My 5 year old just began kindergarten 3 days a week leaving his 3 year old brother home or at daycare without him. My 3 year old is showing some interesting behavioral issues. He has been angry and aggressive at daycare, distracted at home, and constantly asking about his brother. He knows he is at school, but he also picks up on the things his brother tells him about school and discusses those things in his absence. I am concerned that this separation, though normal, may be affecting him negatively and I am wondering if there is any way to help him adjust to the changes.
Related Discussions
242606_tn?1243786248
This will all be fine - give it some time. You can imagine how disconcerting it can be to a young child to suddenly have a sibling sort of disappear for stretches of time. This is hard for a young child to understand, primarily because the young child has no framework for what has happened. Be sure that the daycare setting sets limits around the aggressive behavior. Otherwise, be alert to questions your three-year-old might have about his brother and his whereabouts. Have you shown him the school where his brother attends? If you haven't already done so, let him come along a couple of times so he can see where his brother is. If you've already done these things, you've pretty much done what you can. Be patient - he's just reacting to a significant change in the environment, and he'll adapt.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...
Jul 20 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank