Child Behavior Expert Forum
Single mother: should 2 year old son see his Father?

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

My son his 2 years old.  I am a proud mother.  He is really a great little boy although I am worried that since his father and I are not together.  Basically his father and I haveto live together and work things out.  This is not happening.  So we moved.  My son lives with me in a wonderful, safe, and loving environment.  My son has not seen his father in 4 months.  Before that it was another 4 months and the visits were like 2 hours at the park.  It was the 3 of us the whole time.  his father does not take any initiative to set up arrangements to see his son and when we speak on the phone has not shown interest in asking about his day, or what he's up to or any questions that a normal parent would want to know.  When my son hears someone say "daddy" he looks at me and asks, "where's daddy, is he at his new house?"  My son or myself have never even been to his house.  I tell my son that his "Dad loves him, wants him to be happy and will see him soon." My son has positive male figures in his life including my father, his grandpa and his two uncles. FYI: (his father ditched his christening, my son has celebrated 3 christmas and 2 birthdays and his father has never even bought him a toy)  His father has not seeked to get visitation or anything like that, so I need to know if If I'm doing the right thing, should I let my son see his father?  I do not want him to be in and out of his life.  I know that this will be more detrimental to my son than not seeing him at all.  His father is a lost cause, He hates working hard to earn anything, he does feel inadequate and when we did live together, he would disappear for a few days at a time.  I could not trust leaving him alone with my son.  He is incapable of taking care of a child properly and has a short fuse.   So..... I'd appreciate advice.  I want nothing more in this world than my son to have a happy childhood.  
If your son's father is not interested in him, there is no point pushing the issue. And don't mislead your son. There's no point telling him that his father loves him and will see him, when you know that those statements aren't true. You don't have to comment at all about whether or not his father loves him.