Child Behavior Expert Forum
Six year old first grader with behavioral issues

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Help! Kindergarten: Wonderful. -First grade: 1st semester was smooth. 2nd Semester has been a bit rougher. He beats kids up just because they are looking either at him or in his general direction. He beat up his principal, broke her watch. He beat up a kid standing in the He got suspended four times in a matter of two weeks. We decided to remove him from the school because when we met with the principal and told her he was just diagnosed with ADHD and was trying out a medication, things got even worse.-the school decided they weren't going to help. I'm not exaggerating. We switched to a new school two weeks ago. Wednesday was wonderful. Thursday was harder-he yelled at a few students. They were off Fri and Mon. Tues was ok. Wed he got kicked out for destroying school property (ripped phone off the wall, needs professional wiring repair inside wall now), beat up Teacher's Aide, Teacher, a student who was passing out papers, and the principal. We had a doctor's appointment Thursday, at which point we switched to Focalin. Friday: Took Focalin at 7:30 a.m. At 8:30 am he said he felt good. For the first time in a very long time, he was smiling and actually acting like himself. Everything was dandy, and he went to school and had a wonderful day. Today: Has been out of control most of the day. It's just like this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q5FdzHaOuE&NR=1&feature=fvwp except I'm doing it with a 4'2" tall 62 pound six year old. Today I had to carry him like a baby, and force him up the stairs. I'm barely a foot taller than him, so you can imagine how hard it is to climb the stairs while holding him like this and trying to get him up to his room. I don't know what to do. We tried Strattera, he was allergic to it. We switched to Concerta, but that seemed to make things A) Worse at school and home and B) He became suicidal. Now he's starting out at 20 mg once a day, Focalin XR. Yesterday was PERFECTION, today is HELL.
There is no evidencethus far that medication for ADHD is useful. In fact, it may be exacerbating the situation and invites concern about the accuracy of the diagnosis. Aggressive behavior is not typical of ADHD. If indeed your on does display ADHD, he also displays some co-morbid condition that is not being addressed.