Child Behavior Community
Six year old that seems immature for his age?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

My six year old son has trouble relating to other children.  At school he shows little or no interest in interacting with the children.  If a group of kids are playing he will just sit with them but not really join in.  When he gets upset at school recess or lunch, which is often he will go and hide under the school stairs till my 11 year old goes and gets him to come out.  He hates new things.  If we buy him new clothes we won't even wear them for a couple of weeks.  He is very smart for his age and can read in both french and english, and is ahead of the class in math.  When he was little he would have uncontrolled temper tantrums that would last hours.  Also he must wear colors all the same (if he is wearing blue then he will wear only blue)  I have taken him to the pediatrician and been told it is just anxiety and have done everything they told me but it hasn't helped.  I am worried because next year his sister will be at a different school and won't be there to look out for him.  If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate them.
I have taken him to the pediatrician and been told it is just anxiety and have done everything they told me but it hasn't helped.

Sounds like anxiety to me, also.  If anxiety is the issue, your child will not outgrow it nor will it go away but with proper treatment, anxiety can be "managed".  Proper treatment of anxiety is a multi-modal approach that usually takes years for the child to learn how to manger his fears.  What did "they" tell you to do?  Please let us know so that we can help  you.  Waiting for your reply ....
Thank you for your help.  But after yesterday, I feel it is in his best interest to take him back to a behavioral specialist.  He had a 2 hour break down yesterday because his sports day ribbon had a safety pin on it so that it could be put on his shirt and he didn't want it because now there were 2 holes in his ribbon.  I know he hates going to the doctor ( 2 months ago had to take him to the emergency for a high fever and pain when going to the bathroom and they wouldn't even run the usual test on him, it was a urinary tract infection, they said it would traumatize him to much so they will do them if it happens again, the test was only an ultrasound because of family history of boys with underdeveloped urinary tracts on my side of the family.)  But in the end I think that avoiding going back to the doctor because he doesn't like it isn't helping him.  I hope the new specialist will have new ways of dealing with his anxiety.  Better then the last suggestion of putting him in a time out everytime he has a melt down.  
Anxiety is often co-morbid with other mental health issues - I wonder if that might be the issue here - more than one "disorder" with which to deal.  Hopefully, this next "specialist" will have more positive suggestions and intervention plans.  Please keep us updated on the appointment.