Child Behavior Expert Forum
Smearing feces

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Smearing feces
My 2 yr. old child is taking his feces from his diaper and smearing it on furniture and walls.  He knows that this is bad to do but continues to do it in my home as well as other people's
homes.  Diciplining him is not working.  What can I do? I am also afraid he will get sick from it. Is this normal?
This behavior is not the usual, but it is not necessarily abnormal. The distinguishing feature in discerning abnormal vs. normal in this regard is whether the behavior is a gesture of anger or is more benign than that.

One way or the other, the behavior has to be managed. On any such occasion, place your son immediately in time out. The time out space should be an adult-size chair. Have him remain in the chair for approximately five minutes (no less). And probably the single most important ingredient will be supervision. In other words, don't allow the opportunity for such behavior, at home or in other people's homes.
Mum told me when I was a year old that I smeared my crib with my feces after waking up from a nap. They (my mother and her friend) discovered what I was up to when they thought it was unusual that I had not "woken up" from my afternoon nap. They found me busy smearing my feces all over my crib. I did it only the one time. I think it was out of curiousity.

Katria.
My two year old son as done the same thing.  He and his older brother we supposed to be laying down for a nap in there room.  Well, my four year old came running out of the bedroom screaming and crying i asked what has happend.  He said Baily put poop on me.  I just kinda laughed and didn't think he really did it.  But, I found it all on the walls the bed and my older son also.  I had to wash everything to the room.  So, now i change his pants as soon as I realize he went and have not had problems since.
A related discussion, child smearing was started.
A related discussion, what do I do to help a child to stop smearing feces? was started.