Child Behavior Expert Forum
Smoking and Nail Biting
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Smoking and Nail Biting

I have a 3 1/2 yr old foster child, parents are addicts (meth and heroin) and cigarette smokers... I watch her obsessively chewing on her fingers.  There's addictive heredity and likely psychopathology.  I am attempting now to simply make her aware of it, reminding her to take her hands out of her mouth.  She is aware that having fingernails is a benefit to accomplishing tasks (bright kid).  

I have been pondering if there is any research suggesting a connection between childhood finger sucking and nail biting and cigarette smoking.

Obviously each child is unique, but I am looking for tips on breaking this bad patter.  She is a set up for all kinds of life-havoc (tobacco on top of asthma, already suffered from the effects of parental bad choices).,

THANKS!!