Child Behavior Community
Socially Inept
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Socially Inept

My 5 year old son (soon to be 6 in Feb.) does not seem to know how to socialize and act appropriately around other children. He is the oldest of 3, smart, normal weight and height, very verbal, has a wonderful imagination (can play for long periods by self, building things and making scenes etc.), and can be very loving. He had a PT eval. and that came back as within normal range; he could use some time getting out at a playground to build up his skills and strength. When asked to draw a picture, he drew a picture at a 7 1/2 year old level. He has severe sibling rivalry with his 4 year old brother (they're 19 months apart). When he is with other children, his age or not, he acts all crazy and hyper active.  He is not very athletic or coordinated but that doesn't seem to bother him as he runs around, hooting and hollering. It's like he starts playing a game where he's a super hero but no one else is in on it. He'll talk jibberish, scream or screech and do the best he can to climb and jump around (but since he's not that coordinated he looks silly). The other kids look at him like he's strange and just ignore him most of the time. He likes to be the leader. If he follows another's game, when he gets to the point that he can't keep up or do what the kid is doing, he'll change the rule and do what's more fitting for him. Then he'll get angry and hurt when they don't play with him. Sometimes he gets into play fights with kids which concerns me. He has been trying so hard to gain a friend. He's always smiling and waving and saying hi to all that he knows, he even tries to get "high fives" from them, but they don't really know him that well and feel uncertain about what he wants or high fiving him back so they don't. This hurts his feelings and he internalizes this hurt, and usually has some angry outburst later (usually directed at me or his 4 year old brother).  I've tried talking to him about his behavior and those of others, describing appropriate responses and how if other children can't identify with him and what he's playing, they won't want to play with him or think he's weird. (I defined weird as something different that they don't understand). I feel so bad for him and wish he had a best friend, a friend. Is he normal?
Tags: friends, child, son