Child Behavior Community
Son Says He Wants to Kill Himself and Others (Going to be 7)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

My son is diagnosed with ADHD and a rough diagnosis as Bi-Polar. He is on Adderall (adderrall) XR 20mg, Zoloft, Risperdal (at night) and Lithium (being taken off of current - weening).

He is having a rough time at school and at home. At school he throws things, hits others and says he will kill people and today he said he wanted to kill himself.

He has a psychiatrist and psychologist, but neither of them seem to be helping a make a bit of difference. The Lithium, treating the mood disorder, actually makes him worse and the Risperdal makes him have violent nightmares (he tells us someone is hurting him in his dreams).

When he is sweet, he is right on. If he doesn't want to do something or get his way, he uses profanities, throws things or says he'll kill you.

He was hospitalized this past summer which worsened his behavior as well.

My husband I are are firing his doctors and trying to start over, but we are at wits end.

Any suggestions??????
No fault at yourself but a 6 year old child should not be on all of these medications. Zoloft has been proven to increase thoughts of suicide in young adults 18 - 24. God knows what this would do to a 6 year old. The risperdal is also a very strong anti-psychotic that has never been tested on children and has significant life-long side effects. When is the last time your child has been medication-free?

I absolutely agree that you need to seek out a second opinion. I would work with a new doctor to wean him off of everything to return him to a "normal" baseline level medication free.

In addition, Zoloft is an SSRI medication which should NOT be used in a person that is bi-polar even though I highly, highly doubt this diagnosis in a 6 year old. SSRI medications can induce/worsen manic episodes for individuals with Bipolar disorder. I am at a loss for why the psychiatrist would be doing this to your child.

Has your son otherwise developed normally? No developmental delays or learning disabilities? Do you know if there is a specific trigger to his behavior?