Child Behavior Expert Forum
Son urinating in odd places

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Son urinating in odd places

I have a 10 year son.  A year or so ago I found a container in his closet filled with urine, my children bedrooms are upstairs and the bathroom is located on the 1st main floor and also the basement.  When questioned he denied it.  Then at my parents and sisters house he had smeared feces(a line) on the wall by the heating vent. At our home, there was no feces on the wall but under the bathroom rug.  I began to get him counseling, he hated going but did cooperate, however there was not any reasonable resolution found to why he began doing this.

Recently at my parents house, she kept smelling urine in the bathroom, we mopped/washed and searched but couldnt find where the smell was coming from. The next day, the smell hit you by the entrance way.  So we all sniffed around and smelled the strong odor by the vent.  

He is in the bathroom, why not use the toilet?  I thought we he did at my house he was just being lazy.  But yesterday while my other 2 children were downstairs my son was upstairs playing video games and later that evening when the heater was blowing their room smelled of urine.  My eldest son noticed by the vent there was wet spots on the floor.  My son cried/denied and get so ashamed and ran under his bed covers.

Please Help Me.  I do not know what to do.  Where is this behaviour stemming from? What can I do to stop it?  
I cannot of course tell you why the behavior is occurring, but you should pursue clinical evaluation. Now, the fact that children sometimes urinate in places other than the toilet isn't necessarily a cause for great alarm. Some of the time the explanation is straightforward: e.g., a child does not want to take the time (such as going from the third to the first floor), or during the night a child might wake up and be fearful of being up. Other times, the behavior is more indicative of serious emotional disturbance. The only way to figure this out is to arange an evaluation with a seasoned pediatric mental health clinician. During such an evaluation, the particular behavior under investigation will be considered in the contexct of the child's overall functioning.
1 Comment
A related discussion, Children urinating in closet and on the carpet was started.