Child Behavior Expert Forum
Speech developmental delay

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Speech developmental delay

I have a 26 month old son who has a one word vocabulary.  He has recently been enrolled in a school to help us determine the root cause of his speech delay.  His schooling has revealed that he has problems transitioning from task to task.

I am trying to understand if the two symptoms, "transition difficulties" and "delayed speech", help narrow the range of possible root causes.  Also, is there a reference that would provide, in layman's terms, a matrix of cause and effect (symptom) for child devlopmental issues.

Dear Bob G,

For a twenty six month old child to have some problem with transitions from one activity to another is almost to be expected, and really shouldn't in itself be regarded as a major worry. One of the things to figure out as your son's evaluation proceeds is whether the speech delay is an isolated delay, or whether there are additional types of delay in other areas of his development. You really can't draw generalizations about such developmental issues. The process is to conduct the assessment, determine your son's developmental status in the various areas, and then reach conclusions about causes of any delays that are identified. It sounds like you are doing the correct things.
Thanks very much for the information.  We will be continuing to evaluate all facets of our son's development.  I'm just very anxious to begin to understand/narrow the possible causes of his condition.  

Regards,
Bob Gwinn
Hello Bob!!
My son too had similar problems and finally at age 3 it was determined he was nearly deaf (2 surgeries corrected this and he has only a minimal hearing loss now) which made his speach apppear delayed...it was really only incomprehensible.  At that time he was also diagnosed as having: ADHD, fine and gross motor delays, visual tracking problems and auditory receptive difficulties.  Later mild dyslexia was diagnosed.  I suggest that you continue your vigilance, and being assertive when seeking help.  Our son received his check up at a pediatric hospital and was tested by a Dr., occupational Therapist, Physio Therapist, ENT specialist, Audiologist, and psycologist.  Don't let them push you off with "you're being over reactive"  follow your heart and see whom you have to see!!  Good Luck!
I really appriciate the information you gave here.I seriuosly do believe that it is oslated delay. I am a 15 year old who wants to have a Ph.D in Developmental Psycologist and has been learning a lot about Psycotheraphy. Thank you for the little information you gave about the delays.
I really appriciate the information you gave here.
A related discussion, 6-year-old with a Developmental Speech Delay was started.