Child Behavior Community
Speech problem

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Speech problem

My son is 3 years old. His speech is not developed. He speaks only few words like Papa, Mama, Dada, Aaja, HatJa etc. I have consulted with speech thearpist at AIIMS & Vimhans, Delhi. They said there is no medical problem wtith him. His attention span is very low. He never sits at one place & always roaming even in school. May be this is the reason that he is not getting words & can't speak. Please guide me what can I do for him to improve his speech.

Thanks & Regards

Chitra Jalota
Hello.  Please google sensory integration disorder.  When my child was 3, he began preschool.  His teachers told me that he had trouble with speech and tripped.  Then they told me he wandered the room.  

As it turns out, my son has sensory integration disorder.  This is an issue with the nervous system and how the brain processes things.  Speech can be effected by sensory integration disorder by something called motor planning.  This is how the brain processes and organizes itself to carry out any function.  If a question is asked to a child-------- his nervous system/brain must organize what is said to him, then it must organize how he wants to respond and then it sends the message to the mouth to articulate it.  If motor planning is not working properly------- it will cause difficulties with all or some of the above.

Is your child constantly on the move?  Mine was.  

An occupational therapist evaluates for sensory integration disorer and then treats for it.  It is "play therapy".  I'd also think that a speech pathologist would be helpful for your child.

I'd talk to him a lot.  I'd read and carry on conversations and have him look at you as you say the words.  I'd work on his oral motor muscles------- turn on music and make silly faces and then freeze as you stop the music, do tongue push ups, stick the tongue out and pull it back in fast, slide tongue from side to side, etc.  I'd have him eat chewy things and s uck thick liquid through a straw.  Have him blow bubbles.  All work out the mouth.  

There are many activities you can do at home to help a child that has sensory issues.  If you think it fits at all after you google, let me know.  I have many ideas for you.
But one thing that will help whether he has sensory or not is lots of physical activity.  It soothes the nervous system and keeps it in tip top shape.

good luck