Child Behavior Expert Forum
Stimulants

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Stimulants

My son was diagnosed at age 3 with adhd. Every time they put him on a stimulant he worsens. It speeds him up so fast that he can't talk or sit still and brings out severe aggression. His doctor will not listen to what I'm saying so his therapist told me today I was exactly correct and that the prescribing doctor needs to listen and get him off medication. He won't help me do that. I realize I can't just "pull" stimulant meds. So how do I do this?????? The pharmacy will not help either. But he is out of control. :(
1 Comment
You are the parent and a prescriber cannot insist that a child be prescribed a medication. Except in relatively rare circumstances (e.g., when a state agency or court has jurisdiction) the decision ultimately rests with the parent. Also, with the stimulant medications, each dose is entirely metabolized before the next day's dose. That is, there is no blood level of the active ingredient remaining in the system. That is the reason children can have the medication on school days only, for example, and be off the medication on weekends and holidays and vacations if that is what is best for them. There is no rebound or 'withdrawal' from the medication. So what does this all mean? The medication can be stopped - that is not unusual. Keep trying to work with the doctor. It is best to do so. but, if push comes to shove, at the end of the prescription, don't have it renewed. diagnosing ADHD in a child so young is controversial because development has not proceeded vary far. The reaction your son is showing is not convincing evidence that the diagnosis is incorrect, but it gives one pause.