Child Behavior Expert Forum
Strange Recent behavior in 3 yr old boy?

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

I have a boy who will turn 3 in 2 days. Recently he started really resisting being put to nap/bed which was never a problem before. Not wanting to go to nap/bed started back in the summer when I took the kids to Texas to visit my parents for a few days. Since then laying him down for a nap at home has consistantly become a nightmare. It's to the point that he starts grunting and tried to take his clothes off like he really aggitated or stressed and doesn't know what else to do to be in any kind of control of the situation. He cries and says over and over "No I dont like it". If you allow him to strip all the way he fumbles with his penis and anus like a nervous obcessive behavior?
I just recently took a part time job so I have been working different times and days for the past month which is when this all seemed to get the worst. Tonight my husband whitnessed the behavior that he displayed yesterday when I tried to put him down for a nap (stripping and fidgetting with his penis). Except this time it was like I was the cause of the stress. He followed me around doing it and couldn't seem to get himself under control until I left the room. Once I left (well snuck away, he wouldn't let me leave) my husband was able to get him dressed and put him to bed with out anymore problems. Today my mother in law told me that yesterday afternoon when I left for work he wasn't actually asleep yet. He heard me leave and climbed out of his bed and beat on the window as I was driving off, pulling the curtain down.
Im beside myself really. We're very consistant with both kids, the only inconsistancy has been our work schedules the past few years, something we can't really help due to the economy.
This is getting more and more difficult to deal with. I really dont know where to begin because I dont know exactly where/when we went wrong? Please, can you offer any advice?
If I have to quit my job and be a consistant stay at home mom with him I will do that.
Thank you,
Jessica
Perhaps it is time to do away with the naps. Your son is frustrated, emotional, and you are witnessing the behavioral manifestations of that emotional stage. In the topic to your post you characterize the behavior as strange. It really isn't. It's typical frustration behavior in a three-year-old. You didn't go wrong at all.