Child Behavior Expert Forum
Sudden disappearance of Motor Tic

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Sudden disappearance of Motor Tic

My son has been medicated for years (He's 6) for a mood disorder and depression. In Jan. he started Adderal and developed a tic of Gasping, quite loudly and while eating, trying to sleep, talking, etc. I stopped the Adderal Immediately, but the tic continued until the last few days. For 2 days , nothing, but now he has chest congestion and is coughing, so I have heard the Gasp a couple of times. I dont want to think it's Tourette's. Should I be looking for different tics, or should I be grateful that it's going away? It has worried me to death and really bothers him, so naturally, when we realized it was going away, we cheered..Are our cheers premature??
Dear Amy,

We believe that stimulant medications do not actually cause tics, but rather potentiate the appearance of tics in a child who is already vulnerable to them. It is very likely that the tic will disappear, since its onset can be directly associated with the start of the stimulant compund. However, there is no assurance that you will not see a continuation of tic behavior, whether due to Tourette's or some other tic disorder. Time will tell.