Child Behavior Expert Forum
Surgical Options

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Surgical Options

My daughter, Madison, has had seizures since the age of 14 months.  Her neurologists have been unable to prexcribe a medication regimen that will stop her seizures.  She has had 2 48 hour EEG's with indefinate results.  Her neurologist, Dr. Jan Matheson, has been very informative in the study of her seizures.  However, he has been unable to determine the definite cause.  he has suggested that I take her to Dr. Blount, who is a neurosurgeon at Children's Hospital in Birmingham, AL.  He wants to qualify her for either placement of a Vagal Nerve Stimulator or do further studies to determine where the seizures originate, so as to remove that part of the encephalon.  My daughter is now 5 years old, and effects of her seizures are beginning to show.  She seems to forget words, parts of her ABC's, etc.  She has gone through very much in her life.  Her mother and I divorced when whe was only 3, and she has lived with me since that time.  I wanted to ask the forum for advice, if nothing else.  All of her studies, i.e. MRI's, CT Scans, EEG's, have come back with unremarkable results.  So, she has no answers for the questions her mind is yet unable to ask.  What does the board suggest?
We really cannot address your question in this Forum - it is devoted to questions about psychological and emotional development. Medical questions of the sort you pose are not in our area of expertise.