Child Behavior Expert Forum
THE DRUG -RISPERDUL
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

THE DRUG -RISPERDUL

I have a step nephew that currently lives with his grandparents in another state.  He moved there with them because of the many things that he has done here.  The therapist in Las Vegas says he is/has Oppositional Defiance Disorder.  They have perscribed RISPERDUL to him.  Can you tell me about this drug so I can tell my sister(concerned step mom)what this is like.

thanks

step aunt
Related Discussions
242606_tn?1243786248
Dear Concerned Aunt,

Risperdal (Risperidone) is a medication that helps children to maintain emotional control and to experience normal thought processes. It is prescribed for a number of conditions. My guess is that the boy's angry defiance is the target symptom of the medication.

Risperdal is most commonly prescribed for various psychotic disorders, but it is useful as part of the treatment for other conditions (e.g., Oppositional Defiant Disorder) as well. It's not the diagnosis that's central, but rather the symptom that the medication is addressing.

Hopefully this little boy is in therapy as well. Medication can be a udeful tool, but it can't do the job alone.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...
Jul 20 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank