Child Behavior Expert Forum
THE DRUG -RISPERDUL

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

THE DRUG -RISPERDUL

I have a step nephew that currently lives with his grandparents in another state.  He moved there with them because of the many things that he has done here.  The therapist in Las Vegas says he is/has Oppositional Defiance Disorder.  They have perscribed RISPERDUL to him.  Can you tell me about this drug so I can tell my sister(concerned step mom)what this is like.

thanks

step aunt
Dear Concerned Aunt,

Risperdal (Risperidone) is a medication that helps children to maintain emotional control and to experience normal thought processes. It is prescribed for a number of conditions. My guess is that the boy's angry defiance is the target symptom of the medication.

Risperdal is most commonly prescribed for various psychotic disorders, but it is useful as part of the treatment for other conditions (e.g., Oppositional Defiant Disorder) as well. It's not the diagnosis that's central, but rather the symptom that the medication is addressing.

Hopefully this little boy is in therapy as well. Medication can be a udeful tool, but it can't do the job alone.