Child Behavior Community
Teenage Sociopathy Coping Skills

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Teenage Sociopathy Coping Skills

I've noticed several posts regarding early signs of sociopathy in people's children.  My son is now 16 1/2 years old and I am here to tell you that once these signs turn into larger issues as they get older, you need to be prepared to protect yourself.  I am a single mother and after withstanding continuous difficulty with my son, practically since birth, and having him in more pshychiatric/psychology offices than I can begin to count, there has been absolutely nothing that has worked.  Last April I made the very difficult decision to call the police and press battery charges on my son.  He had reached an age where I could no longer effectively protect myself. Sadly, since he has no empathy or accountability, his rage against me has only gotten worse.  As recently as last week, he chased me with a knife and jumped me in the street in front of my house to prevent me from calling the police.  If any of you have gotten to this point, I don't need to explain further how little help the state will give in these domestic mattesr. I live in California, so things may be different elsewhere.  Hopefully, they are.  In a (very) tight nutshell, these have been the warning signs that I have experienced (this list is NOT all inclusive):

Ages 0-5:  extreme frustration when trying a new task, multiple daily fits of rage, excessively sloppy eating, inability to take into public because of excessive outbursts, impulsivity, lack of small motor control skills
Elementary school age:  all the above including...no respect for authority, physical assault of teachers, sloppy schoolwork (if done at all), expulsions due to inappropriate behavior (mostly disruptive classroom antics that never get better with change of teacher or consequences), several parent calls asking that I keep my son away from their children due to his behavior/language, refusal to clean up after self, comprehension disconnect
Middle school age:  all the above including..marijuana use, another expulsion for selling drugs and physical assault on teacher (following several suspensions for lack of performance, disruptive behavior, etc.), first obvious signs of lack of accountability for actions that he is specifically caught doing, lack of empathy, no care for personal hygiene, no ambition/interests other than illegal/disturbing/attention getting behavior (desire to "up the ante" on how bad he can be)
High School/Current:  all the above including.. drug use now to include heroin, cocaine, prescription medications, etc., juvenile crime record (1. battery -against mother, 2. felony residential burglary, 3. vandalism -of mothers house, 4. running away, probation violation), pathological lying, I have to walk around my house with my purse bc he will steal anything that isn't locked down, "car hopping", manipulation (frail, sweet demeanor to non-victims), steals from his friends and then brags about it but wont admit it to their face, threats of suicide to get what he wants from me...but I never cave into this, refusal to interact with any family members, including father, bc they expect more out of him and he doesnt want to be better, refusal to abide with court ordered medications and counseling, claims to talk to and see Satan on a daily basis, truancy.  And I cant stress this enough:  TOTAL AND COMPLETE APATHY.

If anyone has had anywhere near this kind of experience, please share with me how you coped. I am constantly told how he "just needs a good *** whooping" and how I should lock him out, but what people fail to realize is that conventional methods do not work on people with this issue, and as a parent I am legally bound to allow my child access to my home even if I am in fear of him.  The police respond, they do not prevent, especially when it comes to dependent children, even with his criminal record of crimes against me. (again, I am in California)