Child Behavior Expert Forum
Teeth grinding in sleep

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Teeth grinding in sleep

Why does a child gring their teeth? My grand daughter does this in her sleep and have asked her doctors and they had no answers. She is only 4 years old and will wake us up when she stay over. Do you have any suggestions or causes why she does this?
Thank you,
Grinding or clenching of the teeth, which usually occurs during sleep, is called bruxism. Some think that the behavior may be a tension-reduction reaction, releasing aggression or anger. Many think that it is related to stress, but it may also be caused my problems with occlusion of the teeth. Thus, it is important in children for a dentalmexamination to occur. To treat the condition, sometimes a night guard (which is a plastic appliance that fits between the upper and lower teeth) is recommended. The danger with bruxism is that it can damage the teeth, wearing away the enamel. With most children the behavior does not persist.
I don't know why they do it either. But my 6yr old son has
been grinding his teeth for 2-3 years.  The dentist says, just
get a  mouth gaurd.  Well their teeth are constantly changing
and it gets really expensive.  Not to mention, they don't want
to wear the thing.  I found and amino acid therapy for adhd called becalmed.  I decided to sprinkle some in my sons applesauce. And lo and behold, for the first time in 2 1/2 yrs.
He stopped grinding his teeth. I haven't heard a peep out of him
since 2/11/03.  Check it out, go to becalmed.com

Good Luck