Child Behavior Community
Ten year old son with erection, seen five year old daughter masterbatin...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Ten year old son with erection, seen five year old daughter masterbating(masturbating).

My five year old daughter has been masterbating (masturbating) since about eighteen months old. I used to catch her rubbing her vaginal area up against her hand and sometimes against furniture. Once she learnt how to talk, I discussed with her that what she was doing was perfectly fine, but it needs to be done in private. Since then she goes into her room. Last week an incident occured between her and my ten year old son which is quite concerning to me. I walked past my daughters room to see her lying legs spead on the bed, with her skirt pulled up revealing her underwear. She was making a light tickling motion over her vulva using her fingers. What bothers me is that my ten year old son was standing there watching, with a visible erection from underneath his pants. I immediantly told her to stop and asked my son to leave the room. I asked her what she was doing and she told me that she was trying to go to sleep. She said to me that it makes her privates feel nice and helps her to sleep. I pretty much left it at that, suggestions would be great as I have no idea what I should be doing next.
The main thing I would do is talk to the 10-year-old.  Assume he didn't know rather than that he knew and ignored the incest taboo in society.  Simply and without laying on a guilt trip explain that although having hormones will make sex  and sensuality compelling to him, it is considered entirely wrong in almost every human society to have this kind of interest in your sibling.  Tell him that you don't expect he will invade her privacy again; that what *he* does in the privacy of his own room when alone will not be invaded, and that he has to give that personal space to his sister too.  Unless you think he is somehow being sexualized by an adult or someone who encourages him in thinking specifically about his sister, he probably was just caught in a massive hormone flow.

I would also tell your daughter that she can tickle her privates in her room when alone, only.  Not in her room with someone watching.
I agree with anniebrooke and although I guess this is 'normal' it would greatly upset me.  I'd do exactly as anniebrooke says but am sure you also feel a bit sick to your stomach about this.  Ugh.  good luck dear