Child Behavior Expert Forum
Testing

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Testing

I posted a question regarding our daughter's focusing ability a week or two ago.  Now, I have a question on which way to proceed in having her evaluated for ADD and or learning disabilities.  In my earlier post, she was tested for (at two different times, two years apart) gifted. Once going into first grade and the second time was going into third.   The first attempt at testing she scored an IQ of 126, and the second 130.  This was also done in conjunction with another portion of testing.  I know testing at this age is really not significant in the big picture of life, but would she have tested so well if she had a learning disability?  I did call a psychiatrist's office, and they recommended that my daughter be brought in and have her evaluated for ADD and put on medication if need be.  I am sure there is more involved in just bringing her in.  I believe they will ask for feedback from her teacher as well.  Or, should I take her to a doctor that can have her tested for learning disabilities as well as ADD?  Her teacher is also asking permission for the school district to go ahead with testing, but I am reluctant to have the school do the testing, as I would prefer to have the testing done privately, first.  I don't want this kid to go through too much!  I feel that if I test her privately, I will hold the ball in the court, not the school district.  I have heard some sad stories regarding the education of special needs kids, and I don't think our little girl falls into that category.  I realize testing can be costly, if our insurance does not cover it, but that is not an issue for us.  What do you think about all this?  What would you do if this was your little girl?  Thanks so much.
Generally I do recommend that the school handle testing that is educationally oriented, including testing for learning disability. You can meet with the school officials and see what tests they are intending to administer. If you arrange to have the test done privately, talk with the school about how/if they will substitute that testing for their own, particularly if it is determined that your daughter does display learning disability and requires some level of special education assistance. The ADHD is another matter. It would be correct to have your daughter evaluated by a psychiatrist or other mental health clinician and see if (a) the diagnosis is appropriate, and (b) if medication might be a reasonable intervention.
Thank you.  I will start with the psychiatrist, and see how she does and what the doctor recommends and go from there.  Her teacher said she had a better week today, so hopefully things are looking up...for now!  I will investigate the school testing options.  Thanks again.
A related discussion, ADD or learning disorder was started.