Three year old son
My son has eaten paper for about 1 or so but its not like an addiction. He'll eats it every once in awhile like his books, mail that comes in or tissue paper. He will try to hide to eat it, when i find him he just swallows it and then maybe hrs later he will try to do it again. This is not an everyday thing but a friend told me about pica? Now i have some concern about this. Also because he either is in this terrible 3's or is it the pica that has him with a bad behavior?
Is he on any kind of multi-vitamin with minerals?  How much paper are you talking about?  Little bits every now and then?  Does he do it because he likes to chew?
No he isn't on any vitamins hes a great food eater i never thought about multi-vitamins. Little bits every now and then, yea i think he does it cause he likes to chew. But i'm not sure if he also like to eat it too.
You could give him something just a bit safer to chew, such as those wax things they make for kids at the penny-candy store (if they still make them) or a hard biscuit like a teething cracker, or simply gum.  But I would first wonder if he might be craving some trace mineral and go with that angle and get him on a kids' multi and make sure it has minerals in it.
They sell chew toys for children. Generally children with autism use them, but I don't see why your little guy wouldn't benefit from it. He may have a sensory need that he is trying to satisfy through chewing. I wouldn't discourage it, but redirect it towards something else. Many children will chew on their clothes and other things until they fall apart. It happens.