Child Behavior Expert Forum
Toddler Continually Plays With Poop

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Toddler Continually Plays With Poop

My daughter turned three in October of last year. She's been fairly slower than other children her age, however, she is incredibly intelligent. Her motor skills are a little behind, her ability to verbalize her wants or need are lacking slightly, but overall, she's a very healthy child. I do feel like she is very disassociated from the rest of us. I've had daycare providers / teachers and babysitters tell me that she is unlike any other child they've ever watched. She is not mean or angry, but something is missing that we cannot seem to pinpoint. Her biological father had severe psychiatric issues since birth, but we are not aware of what exactly he suffered from. We have been potty training for a good 6 months. She will pee on the potty, and occasionally does it on her own, but she refuses to poop on the potty. Every time she poops, she plays with it. Every single time. Unless, of course, her clothing keeps her from getting to her Pull-Up. She always wants to remove her clothing, and I feel like it is for this reason. Sure enough, about ten or fifteen minutes after removing her clothing, she's either pooped and has her hand in it, or she's already smeared it anywhere and everywhere she can. She also tends to stick her soiled hands in her mouth, on her face, and in her hair, as if the smell or taste does not phase her. Disciplinary action does not work, ever. Taking away toys, no dessert, time-outs, scolding, ect have all proven futile. I live with my mother and step father who are not supportive of my opinions or concerns, so making a doctor's appointment for her for this reason is almost impossible. I feel like having a professional opinion first may make this a bit easier. Please help. I am worried sick.
First, as a general rule, if you think your child needs a medical appointment it is your responsibility to arrange this regardless of your mother's and stepfather's opinions. You are the parent and it is neglectful to stay away from the child's doctor.

Re: the specific issue of smearing feces, this can be a symptom of certain types of developmental disorders. Your daughter should be evaluated by a developmental pediatrician and you can arrange the referral at the appointment with her pediatrician.