Child Behavior Expert Forum
Toddler gags around baby sister.

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Toddler gags around baby sister.
My son is two and a half and my daughter is four months old. Just recently he has started to gag when he is around his baby sister. He has been known to gag at normal things, like pumpkin carvings, poopy diapers, etc... Now, he gags if he touches her, if i am breast feeding, when I play with her and she is laughing, when she is getting bathed. These are just a few examples. He is not sticking his hand down his throat, this is a response to something. I am not sure what to do. Sometimes I will ignore it, and other times I will rub his back to sooth him, but I do not overreact. Is this type of behavior normal?
While the response cannot be characterized as normal, neither is it something that invites attention. I think your idea about ignoring it is best - any attention drawn to it may not hurt, but runs the risk of reinforcing by bringing some secondary gain