Child Behavior Community
Toddler is tensing arms and legs

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Toddler is tensing arms and legs

Hello, I have a 2 year old who tenses his arms and legs when in the car seat or sitting in a chair to color/draw.  He has been doing this since he was 1-year old.  This behavior is very scary and odd to me.  He is reaching all his milestones at an advanced pace, and is really very normal.  He had an EEG and it was completely normal.  We went to the neurologist, and the doctor called it "stereotypic automatism".  It's something similar to "sucking the thumb" (a relaxation technique).   The doctors don't seem to think it's that serious, and it should stop by age three.  But I'm still bothered by it!!!!  When I research it online, it's related to brain disorders, seizure, bipolar, etc.  Very scary.  Please help in explaining this "tensing" behavior.  Is it psychological?  Is it anxiety?  Thanks.