Child Behavior Expert Forum
Toddlers breathing
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Toddlers breathing

I have seen many posts on here about toddlers who when breathing, inhale and then pause for a number of seconds then exhale. Then do the same over and over, and because of other peoples posts i am wondering if this is behavioural or done kind of phase!? He does this only when relaxed watching tv, settling for bed, his breathing is normal when sleeping.

I am specifically concerned as this has become noticeable to me since he was admitted to hospital with LRTI which they said was pneumonia. It didn't happen in hospital as his breathing was so fast but a week later i am concerned either they haven't spotted a different issue, or it could be a complication?! If its behavioural i will feel more at ease, he will be visiting the doctor later but i feel they just fob me off, in which case do i take him back up to a&e. I originally took him to the doctors before a&e when he had pneumonia but they refused to see him as it wasn't an emergency, and even the doctor in a&e rolled his eyes at me before he did his sats...hmm, and people wonder why there is little faith in the nhs. anyway in order to avoid a rant can anyone give me experience/advice. Thanks.
242606_tn?1243786248
Nothing in your description indicates a problem. I'm not sure what you mean when you say it might be 'behavioral'. If  you mean that somehow he is doing this volitionally, you can dispense with that explanation. The behavior appears to me to be benign and not indicative of any problem. But, as any parent should always do, never hesitate to seek a second opinion.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank