Child Behavior Expert Forum
Toddlers wont quit licking his lips, need help plz

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

My son, who will be five yrs old in June, has some serious chap sores around his lips and cheek areas.  We know it's from him constantly licking his lips and wiping the areas with his arms.  It's a daily battle, because we apply Neosporin at night when he's asleep and it will look better in the morning, but then he's at it again, and it's horribly red and peeling at bed time.  He mildly understands not to do it, but seems to be unaware of it when he does it.  He'll stop doing it if we bring it to his attention.  We also don't want to take him outside, knowing the cold air will make it worse.  We're out of ideas, anyone have a suggestion?  Thanks in advance
What does his doctor have to say about this?
When he had his last checkup, it was suggested that we use Petroleum Jelly at night to encourage healing.  However, the case was much milder at the time.  The jelly does work, but it seems to be getting worse overall, kind of like we're taking two steps back for every step forward.  Part of the problem is getting the jelly on, as he does wake up half the time, and wipes it off instantly.  During the times where we get it on two or three nights in a row, it makes a difference, but one night missed or an outside session of playing, and we're back to step one.  I was hoping there was a secret remedy or a suggestion that we haven't done yet.
I agree that symptom control may be the only useful approach right now. There is an outside possibility that the behavior is a motor tic. Ask yuor doctor about that. If it is a tic, it invites evaluation by a pediatric neurologist.