Child Behavior Community
Two simple things for better behaviour!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Two simple things for better behaviour!

I have recently discovered two simple things that have really helped my childrens mood and behaviour, and they are really easy! They argue less, are calmer, cope better, and more cheerful when I do this.

1. Omega 3 with DHA (I use Udo's Oil because it is almost tasteless) in a smoothie every morning
2. A little protein every few hours, even just a couple of small bites of meat, a few nuts or a boiled egg.

Especially if behaviour seems to be always at certain times of day, I would make sure they have that little bit of protein a half hour or so before it would usually happen. I clued into this when an adult friend of mine told me that he had noticed that he feels 'squirrly' if he doesn't eat a little protein every few hours, and sure enough, it worked for my kids too.

Hope these small ideas help you too, they are pretty easy, and have made an AMAZING difference in my kids.
From a thrilled mom!
Thank you cdm for this input it is indeed useful and I know from experience you are right,it has also been shown that BComplex and Vit C helps ..eating some protein ,food helps every every few hours also help keeps blood sugar stable ...Thank you for your positive thread  
Yes! I agree, those vitamins are so important as well! Thanks for your nice post. Nice to see others have successfully tried these things. It took me a long time to figure these things out in the right combinations for the best results for my children, but it is SO worth it.
What was good was to get feedback of the success's.. I love to hear about great child /parent interaction ,and tips on how you cope .
Thanks for the tips. I am trying to think of snacks that my son would eat at school that are high in protein.  Someone mentioned beef jerky...
Benjimom----   beef jerky would be great for your son-----  the protein is good but jerky is recommended by occupational therapists because it is thick and chewy.  To chew it takes work and this soothes an overactive nervous system.  That is one of our school's snack suggestions if it is in an IEP.  
How do you manage this with a picky eater? I mean my son is really picky. How do you get them to take the vitamins? Right now he takes gummy vitamins...he would not swallow any pill.
My son takes the gummy vitamins too.  I get him fish oil supplements that are chewable as well.
Nitrates in smoked meat aren't the greatest for all kids, but I usually keep roast meat in the house and just cut off a couple small domino sized pieces for the kids to snack on with a little sprinkle of salt and pepper. A small piece of cheese has protein too if your child can tolerate dairy (mine can't).

Smoothie is a great way to get the vitamins into them that aren't chewable. I put the B6 and E in the smoothie and then give them a chewable multi vitamin with an extra C and B12. Smoothie recipe is as follows... if they like juice and /or yogurt, they should like it, it tastes like strawberry yogurt.
My "Brain Helper" Smoothie
4-5 frozen strawberries
4-5 slices of banana
1 Tbsp Udo's DHA 3-6-9 Oil (helps nerves, brain)
1 crushed vit B6 tablet (helps nerves)
2-3 oz orange juice
Add if desired (I use these things too)
1 probiotic capsule or 1 tsp probiotic powder (promotes better digestion, healthy digestive flora)
2-3 drops grapefruit seed extract (intestinal tonic, helps cleanse negative bacteria)
6 drops Vitamin E oil (antioxidant)
1/2 scoop Blueberry greens powder (antioxidant)
1 Tbsp liquid calcium/magnesium supplement (if dairy free)
1/8 tsp stevia sweetener, honey or pure maple syrup (only needed if using grapefruit seed extract, as it is very bitter!)