Child Behavior Community
Voices in 6 year old head

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Voices in 6 year old head

I have a 6 year old daughter who for the last 2 months has mentioned hearing voices in her head and at night she sees shadows. These voices according to her, tell her to do things and/or say things and sometimes they are very hateful. The shadows at night scare her so I leave the bathroom light on for her because she says that helps to keep them away, but it doesn't always help. About a week ago, her Kindergarten teacher came back from maternity leave and my daughter has been seemed to be more talkative, asking another child to beat up another child for her, and doesn't obey rules at school. Her home life hasn't changed but yet shes hateful, hits her brother, very rude and doesn't listen. If she doesn't get her way she throws a fit and they are long and drawn out. I have taken things away from here, shes been sent to the principals office, I have talked to her about why she does this, but her answer is always, I don't know or the voices in my head told me to do it. I don't know what to do anymore, any suggestions will be great. Thank you.
Get your child to a psychotherapist or child psychologist as soon as humanly possible.  If the voices are telling her to do harmful things, you don't have any time to waste AT ALL.  Child schizophrenia is EXTREMELY rare as it usually doesn't manifest itself until about age 16.  However, it does exist.  Google the name January Schofield.  You will find an extensive article in the LA Times written about her.  It may help you feel like you are not alone and you can see the extreme that it can go to.  And you can see that it DOES exist as many people will tell you that it doesn't.  It is just VERY rare.  Kids at a young age are very imaginative, so we, as parents, need to not freak out when our kids hear voices or see people.  But when they are being told bad things or to do harmful things, this is a huge problem.  Please seek help for your little girl.  She didn't ask for this, so just try to be as patient and loving as possible.  Good luck to you.
I read that article and I don't believe my daughter had schizophrenia. She may be Bipolar like her daddy but not that. I am waiting on a call back from her counselor to get her take on this since they know how my daughter is. Thanks for your input.