Child Behavior Community
WHY DOES MY CHILD HUMP AND ROCK?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

WHY DOES MY CHILD HUMP AND ROCK?

MY DAUGTHER IS 3 YEARS OLD AND WHEN MY DAUGTHER GETS IN TROUBLE AND IS SENT TO HER ROOM OR IT IS JUST TIME FOR BED. SHE'LL LIE DOWN ANYWHERE ON THE FLOOR, BED, OR COUCH AND CROSS HER LEGS AND HUMP HER SELF. LIKE A LITTLE ROCK BACK IN FORTH AND THEN FALL ASLEEP. NOW WHEN I FIRST SAW HER DOING THAT I WAS FURIOUS I WS CONFUSED AND ASKING HER WHY SHE WAS DOING THAT.  BUT THEN AFTER THAT HER GRANNY, DAD, AND I ALWAYS TRIED TO CATCH HER WHEN WE SENT HER TO BED OR SOMETHING OF THAT SORT CAUSE WE KIND OF KNEW SHE WA ABOUT TO DO THAT AND WE WERE RIGHT AND WE WOULD TELL HER TO STOP!!!! BUT THEN RECENTLY HER TEACH BROUGHT IT UP TO ME THE OTHER DAY!!! AND I  DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO, I'M EMBARASSED! WHAT SHE I DO?
Tags: KIDS HUMPING
-5 Comments Post a Comment
well I would start by telling you that many children do this and rather than trying to stop her completly right now you need to get her to understand that she cannot do this while she is out and about.  If she is going to do this she will but try to make her understand first that she must be in the privacy of her own bedroom.  Once she understands that then you can focus on not making a huge issue of it, I used to care for a baby that at 7 mos did this and continued until at least 3 yrs when I stopped caring for her she was still doing this.  She probly doesn't have a clue what she is doing just that it feels good.  It may be a relaxation thing or a calming I don't know but rather than ban her from doing it (which has proved she will just do it when you aren't around ie school) I would sit her down and tell her that it is unacceptable to do outside of her bedroom.  Go from there.  Good luck.
Avatar n tn
Children are sexual beings, too, and it must be comforting to her. Rest assured that it has nothing to do with sex, as we think of it. But definately explain that this is something very private! My mom's a 1st grade teacher and she has a little girl who, every time is stressed, puts her hand down into her underwear. My mom simply tells her to go wash her hands, and then privately reminds her that this is not something to be done in school. Kind of lke picking your nose...
That is normal. It is consolation for her and it calms down. It does feel good to her. I wouldn't worry. Just explain to her that she should do it privately.
my child doesnt rock but she does crosses her legs very tightly and move  up and down her position is lying n her stomach and she just turned two its wireds me out and lately shes started makeing noises and that really gets to me now even though ihad this same problem i didnt start as early as my daughter did i want to know is it genetic
My 4 year old daughter dose the same she lays on her tummy she buts her hands on her tummy and she starts to humps. She makes noises but the worrying thing for me is she holds her breath and her checks go all red. That's how I can tell she has been doing it
ok im 15 years old and i started it as long as i can think, and i feel really guilty knowing i do it, but i just cant stop! as soon as i get the urge i need to do it. I want to stop and i have been trying for YEARS but i just cant. Im trying to find out the reasons for it but cant find any apart from sexual abuse which i havent had. Some people embrace it but i think its shameful. And yes i KNOW its normal but i dont care, it doesnt FEEL normal. And your right it is relaxing, i havent noticed that feeling till now. i hope this doesnt go on....
Sweetheart I am 26 years old and still do this from time to time. There is nothing shameful about comforting yourself, in fact it is a skill many children grow up without because their parents and other authorities shut them down and take it away from them. To parents, please stop panicking and treating your child like they are doing something shameful, teach them it is something for private times. This action does not indicate your child is turning into a sex addict, it just means they are human beings having an instinct that a need isnt  being met. Relax. Please .
I did this as a child because it felt good. I didn't really understand what was wrong with it. The more I was told to stop the more I wanted to. Then I just started hiding it. I was not abused. It was just like sucking a thumb, sucking on or twirling hair, or even picking and eating bugers, ect. Eventually I stopped rocking on my legs. but I still am relaxed by having something close between my legs like a blanket or pillow while I sleep.