Child Behavior Community
Was your older child upset by you breastfeeding the newborn?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

I have a 2 and half year old son and I am expecting for next October. I could not breastfeed by William because I was undergoing cancer treatment so I am looking forward to trying with the new baby. I feel guilty though that all that consuming breastfeeding (from what I saw of my friends, it's pretty much constant feeding the first 3 monthts)will take me away from my relationship with William and that he will feel left out...Any advice?

thanks
mc
My son was 2 1/2 when my dd was born. It never was an issue. I think that it is normal that you are feeling this as a lot of moms think that they will have a hard time sharing time and love. Kids don't really think like us adults. I always breastfed with my son in the room with us, unless he was sleeping of course. You'd be surprised, you can read him a book or play cars. Or you can tell him that when you are finished with feeding the baby that you and him will do something together. Include him with the care. He can rub lotion in on a foot, get a diaper/wipes, etc.  You can all play pat-a-cake. It will all fall into line. Congratulations and best of luck with your new little one, tmv
explain the breastfeeding thing to william before your baby arrives , im sure he will understand. try to visit this site http://besthealthoptions.com/baby-child-care it has plaenty of advice about child behavior. gud day!
I nursed my second when #1 was only 20 months old--you will get real good at nursing and doing ohter things to just keep things running smoothly.  Don't know how many times I would have to get juice or something else for my oldest and still be nursing the little one.  It does work out, hope everything goes well for you.
Congratulations. Well done for choosing to Breastfeed. I was still breastfeeding my 13 month old son when I became pregnant for the second time.  I fed all through my pregnancy, even although all the advice on the web was that the flavour would change and he would not want it or even that my milk would dissapear!
Neither was true and I fed my 22 month old to sleep the night I went into labor with his brother.

Obviously I was worried about jealousy and had decided to tandem feed. That is to feed both my toddler and my new baby. For obvious reasons I gave my newborn all the first stuff after birth, the colostrum, that's all the really great stuff full of the necessary antibodies for your newborn.

When my husband and toddler visited me in hospital and his little brother woke for a feed, he was very amused that another person was having his 'boob'. He climed up on the bed and I let him attempt to feed also but he couldn't latch on for laughing.

I would say if you really want to avoid sibling jealousy simply let your toddler have a go. He won't know how to and will not get any milk but at least he will know that mommy is not refusing him something and to be honest it will probably just turn into a tamdem cuddle.

Good Luck and keep it up for as long as you are able. Breast is Best

PS My toddler eventually gave up when his brother was 12 months old! and he stopped 8 months after that. 12 years after my first son I now have a 28 month old girl and she is showing no sign of giving up the breast.