Child Behavior Community
What goes over the limit of normal 5 and 6 yr old boy "play"

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

I have a 3 and 5 year old boys,,,
My 5 year old has become BEST friends with our neighbors son- who is 6 (we recently moved here about 7 months ago) And the friendship has always bothered me a bit. The first thing that bothered me was in the begining- the friend always wanted to play Kitty cat- where they crawled around and talked baby talk like babys.. and I would sometimes find the friend lying on top of my son.
Then another time I heard him telling my son that they were going to get married and he loved him.
This REALLY bothered me.. and I called his mom (we are good friends) and explained how it didnt seam approp. and it made me feel uncomfortable.
She was very defensive and told me over and over how this is what all the boys in her sons class play and talk this way all the time...they hate girls etc..
Well I have two nephews who my son is very close with who are 6 and 8 and never act or talk this way with their friends..
Anyway, their friendship is like an obsession- all they want to do is be together.. 24/7 which is easy b/c were next door neighbors.
So i dont know... I just don't like any kind of this stuff- and I know I am over "worrier" and he is my baby... He has never had a best friend like this..
I just want to know if this is normal "boy stuff" or now...
It drives me crazy and I feel like I always have to be a spy when they are playing at our house..
Just today they were watching a movie with a blanket for covers (its cold and rainy here) and i went to bring them popcorn and they were lying on top of eachother- not doing anything sexual.. but its just always so physical- uggggg
I would love some feedback!

This discussion is related to My son caught playing with other boys parts.
Tags: 6 yr old, boys, play
I'm with you, I don't feel this is normal.  It sounds to me like the neighbor boy has seen some things he shouldn't have.  Wrestling around at this age is normal, laying on top of each other, not normal.  I would also be concerned. I would be spying too, and for your neighbor to be so defensive was not very mature of her.  Maybe you need to limit how much time your son spends with this boy, maybe invite some other friends over to play.