CHILD BEHAVIOR
FORUM
What is a normal IQ in children
by TINA, May 11, 2000
Hi I have a six year old son who I recently had tested at school.His IQ is 87 is that normal or below normal? Also he had a wide range in his IQ scores for example arithemitic was a 2 and Information 11,block design5,similarities10,vocabulary8,comprehension10,picture completion10,coding5,picture arrangement 9, object assembly11. What does all of this mean? Also I have been told that a wide range in numbers could mean brain damage.Is this true? How could I find out if he has brain damage from meningitis at 4 weeks of age. Thank u Tina
Answer:
by Kevin Kennedy, Ph.D.Blank, May 12, 2000
Dear Tina,

The IQ range that is referred to as Normal is between 90 and 110. Your son's IQ is in the upper part of the so-called Dull Normal range. More information would be needed before firm conclusions can be drawn about his test profile, but it is fair to say that his scores certainly indicate the possibility of learning disability and possible neurological involvement.

Your son could receive an office-based neurological examination, and the neurologist might schedule him for an EEG.
Member Comments (4)
by priviate, Jul 27, 2000
Hi im a 11 year old. whats the normal IQ for a 11 year old
by seth mallher, Jul 27, 2000
by seth mallher, Jul 27, 2000

thank you

by Versa, Sep 06, 2008
A related discussion, Behavioral Problems in Hi IQ 8 year old was started.
by skittles97, Dec 12, 2011
A related discussion, iq was started.