Child Behavior Expert Forum
What is a normal IQ in children

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

What is a normal IQ in children

Hi I have a six year old son who I recently had tested at school.His IQ is 87 is that normal or below normal? Also he had a wide range in his IQ scores for example arithemitic was a 2 and Information 11,block design5,similarities10,vocabulary8,comprehension10,picture completion10,coding5,picture arrangement 9, object assembly11. What does all of this mean? Also I have been told that a wide range in numbers could mean brain damage.Is this true? How could I find out if he has brain damage from meningitis at 4 weeks of age. Thank u Tina
Dear Tina,

The IQ range that is referred to as Normal is between 90 and 110. Your son's IQ is in the upper part of the so-called Dull Normal range. More information would be needed before firm conclusions can be drawn about his test profile, but it is fair to say that his scores certainly indicate the possibility of learning disability and possible neurological involvement.

Your son could receive an office-based neurological examination, and the neurologist might schedule him for an EEG.
Hi im a 11 year old. whats the normal IQ for a 11 year old

thank you

A related discussion, Behavioral Problems in Hi IQ 8 year old was started.
A related discussion, iq was started.