Child Behavior Expert Forum
What is appropriate?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

What is appropriate?

Looking for feedback, I’m 36 year old woman engaged to a 39 year old man; he has full custody of his 16 year old daughter.  I recently spoke with him about how awkward I feel when he is laying on the couch with her and/or when her head is lying in his lap and he is caressing her arms/back. I feel there is nothing sexual there…but I still feel awkward/uncomfortable when I see it? He states he wants to show her appropriate male affection and was offended when I brought it up! He also brought up if he didn’t fulfill her need of affection, she would find it from a teenage guy. Am I being overzealous?  My boundary of appropriate affection with a 16 year daughter/father is hugging, kissing on the cheek and using positive statements.
3 Comments
Blank
242606_tn?1243786248
His behavior is without doubt inappropriate. Such behavior is not within normal bounds for the father of a sixteen-year-old.
Blank
Thank you for your help Dr. Kennedy! Can you offer any resources that I can refer to when talking to him about what is appropriate touch between a teenage daughter and father?  I feel I can't let this go...I need to continue to address this with him!
Blank
5381996_tn?1367175169
I had a similar question but it was answered here as well. My late husband used to go as far as sitting inside the bathroom while his ex-wife's 16 yr old was in the tub. I mentioned that I felt that was not a good idea and he about hit the roof. I always wondered if there was something I didn't know about. Ya know? : (
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
Sep 18 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank