Child Behavior Community
What is typical 5 year old behavior?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

What is typical 5 year old behavior?

Up until a couple of weeks ago, my five year old daughter was a very well behaved child, in the last couple of weeks though, she has become a very big smart mouth.  She told her dad that if he didn't go and buy her a toy, then she wasn't going to call him dad anymore.  When I was helping her with her homework, she told me that I am stupid and she is smart and she knows everything.  She has started expecting gifts everytime her grandparents come to the house and whines when she doesn't get them. Outside of the house and people she knows, she is still very respectful and is still doing very well in school.  Is this a phase she is going through and if so when will she outgrow it?
Did the dad actually go out and get her the toy?  If he did--she won and knows thst she will win and that is how she is going to act----did you show how it really upset you when she said those things or did you act like normal---it maybe she is trying to figure out what buttons are going to make mom stop doing homework with me so I can goof off.

She is probably just trying to test how far she can go with mom and dad doing everything to get in her good graces.  Try and stick to your normal routine including discipline if she uses bad language.  Tell her tellingpeople they are dumb or not pretty will not be tolerated in this house and these are the consequences.
angela,  this sounds like she is imitating other kid's behavior.  Is she around a girl who always says mean cutting things?  If this is as big a change as you say it is,  I think she's hearing this stuff somewhere,  and maybe stinging from it a little,  and repeating it.  Is she in kindergarten?  Is there a girl heirarchy where the meanest girl is the leader,  and the meekest girl is left out?

I did laugh,  though,  at her saying she wouldn't call him dad anymore.  You have to admit,  that IS kind of a funny thing to say.  ;D

Talk to her teacher and see if you can get some answers -

best wishes.
No he did not go and get her a toy, she was told that since she said that, he would not be taking her anywhere, because he isn't going to be nice to her, if she isn't going to be nice to him.  Usually when she says hurtful things, we explain to her that in our house she is not allowed to hurt people feelings and if she keeps on being mean, then she is sent to her room for a time out and looses out on things that she likes to do.
My five year old has started being very clingy with me and my parents.  They live 7 hours away and he wants them to stay with us or us to stay with them.  It causes him a lot of anxiety when we leave or when they go home.  Is there a way for us to help him deal with the separation?