Child Behavior Community
What to say to my 5 year old girl about masterbating(masturbating)?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

I found my 5 year old girl masterbating (masturbating) in her room and it scarded me at first. I play it off like I didn't see it. It was the first time (I think) The next day she told me she was going to shut her door and play. I have't talked to her about it yet. I don't know what to say for her to understand and without mentioning the word sex? Casue I know she is to young to know that kinda thing. I know this is normal but is there also such a thing as to much? I think I'm more scared to talk to her without embareing her. I want this to be a positved talk. Who should I handle this?
All you really need to do at 5 is to tell her that if she wants to do that particular thing, it is an activity to do alone in the privacy of her own room.  You don't really need to have the sex talk yet.
hi well i don't have children, but my neice is 5 and was recently in an incident where an 8 year old boy fingered her. it was a very traumatic time for her, she fell behind at school and even had to repeat. i disagree with AnnieBrooke i think she is way to young to be masterbating (masturbating), i know children like to explore but you could explain to her that it's not naughty but this is not a suitable activity for her. My neice was caught naked in the room with my 5 year old sister trying to put a nappy on or what it looked like, this was a little stranged but we explain to them that they were little girls who's private's were not to be touched by themselves on anyone because they are sacred. i hope this helps in some way.
Aleesha, even some babies masturbate, the research says.  And a lot of parents write in to  this site, and confirm this.  It's not that the babies or small children do it thinking about sex, they are just rubbing their private parts because there is a sensation there when they do.  
I agree with AnnieBrooke, don't make such a big deal out of it. If  you do that then she will start freaking out with you. We want to teach our children that what our bodies do and want are natural/normal things (at least I do!). Our desires are not something that we need to fear. Just explain that she can only touch herself in private.

PS having someone else touch you and doing it yourself are two VERY different things and cause extremely different reactions in people (especially girls).
I also caught her rubing herself with a stuff animal. Should I tell her not to and leave that alone? Thank you everone for your advise!
Draco
Freud says that people start being sexual starts a very young age.  Many times even young children masturbate.  I would just make sure that she is not doing it in public.  Like others have said we shouldn't be teaching our children that sex of any kind is bad.
i was one of these kids...im 19 now i was 5 at the time of which my parents caught me.  My dad had asked me if it felt good and told me not to do it again it wasnt right. Im sure they said more but thats all i can really remember of it all.  It was so embarassing to me even now.  I havent ever mentioned it again to my mom but i think not making it a big deal would be the best thing to do.