Child Behavior Community
Why does my 5 yo. son vomit so much?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Why does my 5 yo. son vomit so much?

6581908?1295987465
My son is 5 years old and for the past four years he vomits several times a week, if not daily. He has had blood work, CAT scans, swollow studies and just recently an endoscopy. He has been taking Reglan four times a day for the last 7 months without much relief. After he eats he must sit down for at least an hour or any amount of physical activity will induce vomiting. I have to limit his food to make sure he does not get too full and vomit. It's not any type of certain foods that trigger it, he seems to throw up everything. I'm not sure where to go from here since the Reglan is the only medication recommended for this condition (what ever the condition may be). I'm greatly concerned about his health....I just want him to get better.

This discussion is related to Vomiting with no other symptoms of illness?.
It could be the med causing the vomiting so ask your doctor to change it .
he was put on the med to stop his vomiting, its the only thing so far that helps to control the vomiting. but its not curing anytrhing.
My 13 YO started vomiting at night 18 months ago.  It then started happening during the day and became chronic.  He has thrown up at school twice which has been terribly embarassing for him.  We have been to Psychiatrists, Psychologists, GI Specialists, Family Doc and a Neurologist with no explanations at all.  He's had all kinds of tests (food allergies, GI emptying scan, GERD, Upper GI, sleep studies, EEGs etc) and nothing pointed to anything concrete.  About 3 months ago, the Neurologist started him on Topamax which is an anti-seizure med and the vomting all but stopped.  We were Soooooo relieved.  Then a week or two ago it started again.  He vomited 4 times yesterday and refuses to go anywhere public for fear of getting sick.  It is extremely frustrating for all of us.  His neurologist increased his dosage of Topamax and we are hoping it helps but I don't know.  He also shows signs of Aspergers but he has never been diagnosed (I have read Aspies can be extremely sensitive to smells, tastes and textures).  Sigh