Child Behavior Community
Why does my 6 year old wants to show & see private parts?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Okay this is really embarrising,,,but I don't know what else to do. My 6 yr old son for the past couple of years has had a problem with wanting to see private parts or wanting to show his private to other children. I watch children at home so this is a big concern for the safety of them. It started about 2 years ago when I kept an older (8yr.old) girl who said something to my son about her private and wanted to touch each others private...well I do not wath her any more of course but that is when it began. I watch another girl same age as my son but on several occasions he has asked to see her private. On every occasion his dad and I talk with him about it and tell him it is not right...do not touch, show your privates to anyone...never! And even though most of you may protest it I do spank him. I hate to say it but in a sense it disgust me to think about my little boy wanting to see or do anything like that. Well it happened again today..he showed his private to a little boy I watch...but he lies and says he did not because he knows he will get in trouble. Again I get on to him and spank him...he says he will never do it again...I have heard that before. I am at my wits end...I don't know what to do...He says he is just curious to what each persons looks like..ewhhh! what do you say or do about that. PLEASE HELP! I am out of ideas.
He needs to understand this behavior is not OK, but he doesn't need to feel "dirty" or "nasty" because of it.  He was exposed to something he shouldn't have been, and is reacting to it.  Sex isn't dirty, but his behavior is inappopriate.  I would be a bit more subtle.  If he does this type of behavior, I would isolate him from the other children the rest of the day, or the next day.  My explanation would be, "If I can't trust you around the other children, you have to be by yourself.  I have to keep you and them safe."

By the way, spanking can create some sexual stimulus in chilren who are acting out this way.  Be careful.

Good luck and God bless.
Make him uderstand that it is not ok. Also try to find out exactly what that girl told and did to your son. You may find an aswer to the problem.
I have been online looking for help today because my 6 year old boy; for the first time, went to his friend's house (another 6 years old boy) and they were caught hiding~ doing inappropriate things..(at the time it was thought to be talking about bodily parts)..but after my interrogation on the way home I find out that they were both touching and showing each other their penis...even "kissing it"  As to who instigated; at this point who knows? The boys say it is each other, but I cannot understand why and where did this come from. I asked my son "Has this happened before, has anyone ever touched your penis, have you touched anyone else's penis?" And the answer is "No, no, no". I have explained that this is unacceptable and inappropriate behavior. He now feels so ashamed and badly.  I have explained that he has now shown me that he cannot play with other children appropriately; and will not be allowed to go to anyone's house without me or his father present. Now we have addressed the issue and consequence...how do I calm myself down?  What does this mean?!?!?!?!?! Did I do the right thing? HELP!!!!!!!
I am a childcare provider and I have a 5 yr old little boy that is also showing his privates to others and asking to see theirs as well. This has happened with three other little boys ages 4 and 5 and they have all joined in without missing a beat. Now I have tried so much... timeouts, scolding, calm questions and answers... but nothing is getting him to stop. He did this again yesterday and I kept him in timeout all day. Now I don't know if hee needs to be in timeout all day today as well or if he has learned his lesson beecause h has already told me many times today that he will not do it ever again! What do I do now?
I have some very curious children as well, but not as curious as others, Im sure. It does help reading as much on the subject as possible and this is a well thought out website as regards to the topic.

Visit this website:  http://nctsn.org/nctsn_assets/pdfs/caring/sexualdevelopmentandbehavior.pdf