Child Behavior Community
Why is my humping stuffed animals?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Why is my humping stuffed animals?

My daughter is 4y old and i caught her in her room humping a stuffed animal my reaction was to yell at her and to tell her to stop doing that she has not stopped what do i do?
Most kids do this and you shouldnt yell at her you will make her think something is wrong with her if she was in her room in private just explin it is something that you do in private and not in public
hi i read your comment and my daughter does do this in privateshe has been doing this for about 7 months she stopped doing it for awhile then we moved and i caught her doing it alone now shes doing with hert panties off do i adress this?
I am not an expert, nor a doctor, but I am an elementary school teacher.  In college and talking with our school counselor, at that young of an age, this is totally normal and is a "comfort" thing.  This might be her way of "comforting" herself.  Definitely don't yell and make her feel "dirty" or "bad", but maybe try and explain that there are things that are not okay in front of people and about how that could possibly hurt her private area.  Then, maybe you could lead into why she might be needing that comfort right now and offer a new blanket/ stuffed animal/cuddly robe to substitute.  More than likely, it's self-discovery and it will pass.  However, if she continues into 2nd grade or higher, a doctor/psychologist should be consulted.  Also, if it goes beyond in her room by herself.  I am positive your doctor has heard this on many occasions.  
thank you so much that made me understand more about what she is doing but she is already doing this in private and when she is alone so i always catch her doing this when she gets caught she trys to hide what she is doing and also i have another daughter she is only 15 months old so i dont worry about her learning this but should i not allow her to be with her when she is doing this?And what if i dont want her doing this i dont want it to get worse to where she is doing it where ever she pleases.  
Hi there,
I personally would definitely not allow the 15 month old to be exposed to it.  They mimic everything at that age.  I think the thing that is semi-bothersome is that she knows she needs to hide it.  I hate to jump the possible "sexual abuse" train, but if she is exposed to someone who could possibly teach her that this is to be hidden, that would be a red flag for you.  Honestly, I would go ahead and call the pediatrician just to get their input.  They are going to know the most and probably put your mind at ease.  Good luck and I pray I am not dealing with this in 3 years. I might come look for you on here to see what worked. :) Take Care!