Child Behavior Expert Forum
Worried about my 7 year old son

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Worried about my 7 year old son

My son has recently been doing something weird with his arm/hand.  I noticed about a week ago that he would wave his hand in his face.  At first I thought maybe he was brushing hair or something from in front of his face, but he did it a few other times later that day.  Since then, it has gone from just one swift move to him waving his hand in his face for about 30 seconds at a time.  When he is doing it, he seems to be tuned out and oblivious to what he is doing.  I would call his name and it would take a second for him to respond to me.  I have tried asking him what is the waving all about and at first he just responded that he was just being silly (or in his words "clowning").  This morning he did it again in the car on the way to school and I ask him why was he doing it and he said he wasn't sure but it must be something in his head.  That comment triggered an immediate worry because just last week he said something about not listening to his head because its telling him to do things that would get him in trouble.  He just doesn't seem to be himself lately. Am I overreacting or do I need to take him to see his pediatrician. I ask because he talks to himself a LOT and now this hand thing is freaking me out!
Yes, you absolutely should call this to his doctor's attention. The behavior may represent a neurological condition (a motor tic), or it may be more in the psychological domain.
He should be seen by a doctor to rule out conditions like focal epilepsy, ocd, tourettes syndrome and possible autism; thought that is not so likely.