Child Behavior Expert Forum
Zoning out at school

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Zoning out at school

My nephew is 9 years old and ever since he was in preschool the teachers sais that he has ADHD, well my sister n law and my brother put him on meds for this well h started having ticks and they took him off the meds ( thank god) Anyway last year he had a teacher that dealt with him zoning out in school and when I say zoning out I mean like not listening and spacing out he likes to read and is really good at school hes in 3rd grade and reads at a 5th grade level.I think that he is bored wth what the teachers ar teaching however they wont let him go up a grade because of his zoning out. Example he`ll start rading his Science book and he`ll want to keep reading it until its done and the teachers are getting upset because he doesnt listen when told to put away his book) My Sister n Law and Brother are talking about maybe putting him back on these meds (which I dont want) and/or putting him in a school that is for bad behaviored kids and Im not sure this is the right way to go either I really need some help. I have no kds of my own and Im a very proud Aunt and love my niece and nephew with everything I have. PLEASE help me out!
1 Comment
   I have raised three children, and am now raising my grandson, who is 9 yrs. old. First of all, it doesn't seem like your nephew's ZONING out is a result of anything wrong with him. He IS reading a book, and not just gazing out the window, which is what my daughter did, all through school! And at the conferences, they would tell me, they had never had a child, who was such a daydreamer. Well, her grades SHOULD have been atrocious, but they let her slide by because her brother, who she was inseperable with, had leukemia, and he was 1 1/2 years younger, and the school, and town knew, and so I was faced with finding out my daughter had been daydreaming for years! I hadn't been told, until one strict teacher told me, and I was so relieved!

She had been telling me she had no homework for years, and I KNEW it wasn't true, but she would just insist, and lie! I was so preoccupied, going to the hospital, but her older sister, would always have tons of homework, always do it, and have wonderful grades. I was beside myself when I found out she was REALLY at a failing level, at yet they had just let her slide, for emotional reasons. (I was upset that I had never been told.)

Fast forward, my Daydreaming daughter, who is now 27, is fine. My oldest daughte, who got straight A's and I never percieved a problem of any kind, is a heroin addict SINCE right after highschool, she is 32 years old, and I am raising HER son.

My daydreaaming daughter, doesn't seem to be like your nephew, and I would be less concerned with HIM! He is reading science books for pete's sake, not just looking around, and doing nothing! His love might just not be in school, and the subjects they are teaching. Kids don't get a choice to pick what they are good at, they are just thrust in with the masses. My grandson doesn't pay attention at school but when he gets home, he is a genious on the computer, with math, and mathmatival concepts, and he is just bored at school.

I think the reason they haven't THOUGHT he has a problem, is because he had failure to thrive, his mom is a heroin addict, and the only one in his life is ME...HIS GRAMMA! Or they MIGHT have suggested medications...which I NEVER would have allowed. I have had to REALLY make him straighten up and do his work, that he was NOT doing at school, at home! And his only punishment he cares about...no computer time. Well, itt seems like he May be just not interested, and BOY did I have a rude awakening when I actually sat in on the school activities! There was NO individual help, and while I was one of those kids that achieved wirhout help from the teachers, or my father, who was raising 4 kids by himself while working full time. THESE days, the teachers are not paid enough for sure, but they also aren't helping the kids enough, when you actually sit in and WATCH! I was so discouraged, and still am.

I want MY grandson to excell, and he COULD, and he was given a complete college scholarship, already paid, by his geat-grandma. I was told HE daydreams at school too! He certainly doesn't at home. If there was a medication to make kids pay attention when they just aren't interested....it would be a miracle, and so many parents would use it! Unfortunately, it may be the teacher...I know I SHOULD have pulled my grandson out of His lousy teacher's class last year, but I kept HOPING she would do better! She was and IS ...Well, a lousy teacher! And there are a LOT of them, maybe BECAUSE their pay is so low, I don't know, but if the parents, or YOU KNOW he is capable, he IS!

I spend So much time correcting what the teacher already corrected...every day! And it is SO tiresome, and a lot of work, and I don't think it is right, but maybe, just maybe, if you, or his mother sat in a few times, YOU would be as uninterested as he is! Just a thought.

Raising my grandson, RIGHT after my children were out of high school was not what I invisioned for myself, but I love him, and I can tell you love YOUR nephew...so maybe, just MAYBE, it is the school, or the teacher!