Child Behavior Expert Forum
abnormal eeg and sandifer syndrom(syndrome)

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

couple days after my daughter received her 6mo vaccine cocktail and a clean bill of health; she had like 5 spasms a minute or two apart.  it seems to only happen when she is tired and cranky or if she wakes up from sleeping or is about to sleep.  her development is right on track, she is eating well and is 100% on height... she is growing normally. we took her to a specialist had an eeg done which came out "abnormal" so that night she did an over night eeg and also an mri in the morning. mri was fine.  now the doc has her on anti seizure meds. for a week she didn't have an episode but then while on the meds it started again. now the doc wants to up the meds and he want to continue to increase dosage on my 6month old baby.
is it possible to have sandifer's syndrom (syndrome) with an abnormal eeg? looking at youtube, other babies with sandifer syndrom (syndrome) spasm looks identicle to my little babies spasms.....please before this doc over medicates my baby!
What is possible is Sandifer Syndrome alonside a co-morbid condition such as a seizure disorder. While the Syndrome it self can mistakenly be though of early on as symptomatic of seizure disorder, it is possible for a child with SS to also display a seizure disorder. It may well be that this is occurring with your child.
the problem is, the dr does not know what it is. my baby is not diagnosed with SS, i was just hoping it maybe can be SS even with an abnormal eeg. i think the doctor said something along the lines of the spasms can turn into seizures later on so lets put her on anti seizure meds now.  except she still has the spasms and the doctor's answer is up the dosage.  the eeg is slightly abnormal on her back left part of the brain. supposedly it will affect her right vision. but she follows toys and object with both eyes and her development is right on track for a 6month old. our doc does not know why the eeg came out the way it did.  i wanted to believe that maybe it can be SS......
I see what you mean. I thought you meant that your daughter had been diagnosed with SS. The normal EEG really is typical of SS, so the possibility you mentioned is not likely (except in a situation such as the one I mentioned).