Child Behavior Community
afraid of storms wind rain, clouds

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

afraid of storms wind rain, clouds

My 5 year old grandson as a fear of the weather. It started with the wind . Now it is it going to rain every 5 minutes of the day. Will not go outside to play. Cries if we are outside and the wind picks up or if it is raining. He fears for our safety  His only focus each day from sun up to sun down is the weather. Are you sure he will out grow this. He will be starting kindergarden this fall .

This discussion is related to Child is terrified of storms/ 5 year old.
Hm.  I can see your concern.  He does seem to have anxiety about this and it will be interesting if it develops into more areas of nervousness.

What predated it?  Did he get caught in a storm?  Was he with an adult that freaked a little about weather?  I say that because I was driving my boys in a horrible storm and actually was a little scared myself.  I asked them to be quiet as I needed to concentrate.  My boy totally picked up on my fear and when we pulled over and I got them out of the car and ran inside where we were going, he clung on to me and said he was scared.  It was a reaction to me (and our van hydroplaning on the high way . . .).  I reassured him and that was the last I heard of it.  So, I'm wondering if he saw a scary show or if something happened in real life to cause this.

The only other thing I can think of is that he does not like wind hitting him or rain drops which is related to sensory issues.  

I think I'd try distraction.  Get books from the library as well from the kids section that show weather in a kid friendly way and that it is not scary.  Talk to him soothingly and tell him things like rain helps the earth.  We need rain for plants to grow.  ETc.

good luck
HIs first concern about the weather is when we were outside playing in the rain with umbrella's and the wind picked up fast and took his umbrella. Then a storm came through at his aunts house and he was inside but it took their awning off the front porch and I am sure his aunt was a bit upset so he did pick up on her reaction that day.

We have and are continuing using books and making glitter tornado's .........with any luck he may become the best weather man for his generation.. Thanks for the help. We will see how school goes and see how he reacts to the weather without us being there for him.

Any advise would help. My son is nine yr old; and, he is so terrified of the wind that he starts to cry. He is a healthy child, has excellent grades, gets along with everybody, when I ask him trough the trash he takes forever to trough the trash. I have to stop whatever I'm doing and wait for him at the front door, just to make sure that he is watching me that Im keeping an eye on him when he throws the trash, Anybody has any clue to this behavior.