Child Behavior Expert Forum
always wants to eat

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

always wants to eat
I have a five year old daughter who seems to always be hungry. She's only overweight by a few pounds but at one point she was by 10. When I started dieting and eating healthier she lost the weight what I am worried about is it's like she doesn't know she's full. I just give her healthy snacks and meals but she never seems satisfied.  Any suggestions would be helpful since I've already did what the dr advised
Did the pediatrician arrange for any lab work? What guidance did he/she offer?
They did later after my request I'm waiting to go back for results. They just told me no juice whole grains skim milk. And more physical activity
Await the lab results and adhere to the doctor's guidance. You might also meet with a nutritioinist. Keep a log of a week's meals, snacks, etc. to bring with you so the nutritionist will know in detail what your daughter is eating.
I am an adult who has grown up being constantly ready to eat - not hungry, you understand but I could describe it as having itchy teeth. I am sure you have heard about emotional eating, etc.  Curiously, when someone is actually hungry, and is unable to force themselves to eat, it is considered a medical condition (such as aneroxia nervosa), if someone is completely full and unable to stop eating, then it´s just matter of self-control. If I was a 5 yo I would throw a fit and say it´s unfair!
Solution: fill her up on food she will not enjoy before giving her food which has higher calorific value. I always have a package frozen vegetables in my freezer. That always goes before any food, or whenever I feel like having cheese on toast..
oh, and as an adult, mother of 2, I am about 5 kg overweight. Went through a horrible fat period as a teenagers, then grew tall and out of it (more or less), gained a LOT when pregnant but ok now again (my youngest is 4y.o). My daughters are kept busy, older one has a bit of a tummy..